Ajwain (Carom Seeds) seeds have a very peculiar taste and when added to any food item, the spicy flavor predominates.
Decoction prepared by boiling Ajwain (Carom Seeds) seeds in water helps heal gastric problems like indigestion, bloating, dyspepsia, Irritable bowel syndrome etc.
- Gastro-intestinal disorders: Ajwain relieves dysentery, diarrhea, atonic dyspepsia, colic, cholera, dysentery, indigestion and flatulence.
- Respiratory disorder: Ajwain seeds consumed with buttermilk relieve strain in expectoration due to dried phlegm and bronchitis. Chewing a pinch of Ajwain seeds and common salt with clove relieves cough caused by severe pharyngitis.
- Common cold: Ajwain seeds open up blocked nasal passage. Inhalation using crushed seeds tied in cloth or placing it beside one’s pillow relieves congestion. Alternately, one can inhale steam by boiling one teaspoon seeds in water.
- Aphrodisiac: Consuming a teaspoon of powder obtained by frying equal quantities of Ajwain seeds, kemel of seeds from tamarind in ghee with one tablespoon honey and milk before bed-time makes an effective aphrodisiac increasing virility and averting premature ejaculation.
- Cholera: Tincture, thymol and essential oils extracted from the seeds relieves cholera.
- In Unani Medicine: Ajwain is used as anti-inflammatory agent, liver tonic and for relieving paralysis.
- Mouth disorders: An infusion of Ajwain seeds with common salt makes an effective gargle for severe pharyngitis.
- Colic:Apply paste of Ajwain seeds on stomach.
- Asthma:Administer dry and hot fomentation of seeds.
- Delirium and Migraine:Sniff or smoke seeds frequently.
- Earache:Heat half teaspoon seeds in 30 ml milk, filter and use as ear-drops to reduce congestion and relieve pain. If pain is caused by boil, heat three grams of garlic and Ajwain seeds each in 40 grams of sesame oil until the oil turns red. Cool the mixture, strain and administer as ear-drops.
- As Antiseptic: Use Omum water as antiseptic.
- Rheumatism:apply oil extracted from seeds or Omum-water on the affect parts.